Not a coder?
Whether you don’t have a site yet or you have one that you wish to restart from scratch, this is the place for you. No coding needed to make a basic website!
- Easy interface to add, update, and move around content
- Lots of features
- Huge community who love to help
- It’s always evolving with technology and staying at the top of the curve
There are two kinds of WordPress: WordPress.com and WordPress.org. We are going to create a WordPress.com website.
Read about both here:
If you are coming in with an existing WordPress.org, you may still find value in the class. Past participants have appreciated gaining a basic understanding of how WordPress works and learning how to use the dashboard.
Making Basic Websites Without Coding: Please note that this does not cover highly customized design needs.
- We are going to walk through step-by-step together creating your site foundation.
- The class and instructor will help you pick a great template design (theme). Anyone who has prior knowledge of CSS, the instructor can also show you where to put it to modify the design.
- The two questions every website builder must consider.
- We will walk through creating your menu structure, adding custom features, and setting up your custom domain so it doesn’t end in wordpress.com.
- Individual time to work on your site along with the help of classmates and the instructor.
- A laptop to work on
- A credit card in case you choose to do any WordPress.com upgrades to have a more polished and professional site (such as removing wordpress.com from your domain and removing ads).
Websites normally cost $1000 or more to hire a developer or take months to create on your own.
You will have your basic site completed in 2 afternoons and for a fraction of the cost.
This workshop is:
- Regular price $199
- Members of Creative Coworkers: $149
- Not a member yet? Save $20 by purchasing your Creative Coworkers membership ($30) and workshop ticket together ($149) for only $179!
You also get all the benefits of being a Creative Coworkers member.
“I got to publish my own website in 2 days!”
“Incredibly organized and intuitive. Nice sized group to feel comfortable working with. I would absolutely recommend this course.”
“Knowledgeable and personable instructor. Casual format. Lots of individual working time!”
“I now have the confidence and skill to move forward on my own and build simple websites. I would recommend this course.”
“The instructor was very patient and helpful. It was great to figure out if WordPress.com is the right choice for my business at this time.”
“Lots of individual attention, very social atmosphere, and the instructor had seemingly endless patience!”
“Easy to follow guide for WordPress newbies.”
Examples of past participant websites
- HeroPress: Accidental Activist
- My First Web App, Part 3: Appsessed
- My First Web App, Part 2: I Was A Weird Kid
- My First Web App, Part 1: The Origin Story
- Show Your Work!
- Interview: Jill Binder Talks About Women In WordPress
- Running a Great WordCamp Vancouver 2013
Jill Binder is a WordPress freelancer, workshop facilitator, and member of the WordPress.org Training team. For three years she co-organized WordCamp Vancouver and she enjoys encouraging women to level up their confidence to speak at tech events. Jill was named one of the top 100 Influencers of WordPress in 2014 by Torque Magazine and one of the top 10 Women of WordPress by CloudWays.